Is there a way to soften that section..?

Earlier this year I submitted a piece to a very well-known online site for parents. The piece was welcomed by the individual who responded to me, and upon further review, the individual asked me if "there was a way to soften that section...?"

The individual was asking about  a section of the article that speaks about the importance of keeping the very young "tech-free."  The individual was concerned that a parent might feel judged by what I had written, even though the individual shared they understood that I was not actually judging parents through what I had written.

I responded, respectfully:

"I do think this is a very important issue as children become more and more immersed in screens, and I take a very firm stance on it. I wouldn't want a parent to feel judged but I would also want them to have the benefit of an honest and frank clinical opinion."

The interaction ended very positively, with the individual sharing they understood and inviting me to contribute in the future if I had another idea for a post, etcetera.

I can certainly understand the decision to not accept an article.  My issue however was the individual's concern about the interpretation of the article and that parents might feel judged as a result. I find this concerning.  How can anyone learn and grow if they never hear opinions that may be new, or different or unique or even contrary to what they believe in?

In my practice, I strive to support, empower, and educate parents from a place that is thoughtful and respectful. I believe parents who are looking for a professional opinion want, in fact more accurately need, an honest, forthright opinion that is not wishy-washy or watered down.  The parent can then decide if that opinion resonates with them in part or in whole, or even not at all.  Honest opinions do not equal some sort of judgement. They are simply an opinion to be taken or discarded as the reader sees fit. 

I have chosen to publish that part of the article below.  I welcome discussion in the comments!
____________
    "No screen time!

I cannot stress this enough. Unless your baby has special needs and requires a dedicated device for communication, there is no reason why screens should be introduced before the age of at least 2, and frankly I think waiting even longer is even better.  Babies need the input of language from the day-to-day dynamic three-dimensional world around them, not two-dimensional screens that offer no opportunity for meaningful interaction.  A screen does not offer true language support – for example, words associated with colors and shapes that are learned through an app are essentially meaningless without the rich language that accompanies learning about such topics in the ‘real world.’ In their Health Initiative on Media, The American Academy of Pediatrics notes: “A child’s brain develops rapidly during these first years [under 2 years of age], and young children learn best by interacting with people, not screens.”  
You’re probably thinking now, ‘but how enrich my baby’s language?’  The answer is: by interacting and talking with them, reading and playing with toys with them, and involving them in the world around them as you guide them gently and thoughtfully through!"

Comments

Popular Posts